Gay Power… Rangers

I used to always watch the Power Rangers. I don’t watch it anymore. Now they have like wands and capes, and it’s like the Power Rangers and the Chamber of Secrets or something. I don’t know. But as a kid, that show was mighty.

I had the bed sheets. My friends used to go on and on about how hot the Pink Ranger was. She was like the old-school Megan Fox. Her name was Kimberly. They’d chant, “Kim’s sexy! Kim’s smoking!”

I, on the other hand, was more a fan of the green ranger (he’s a dude).

So yeah, I guess I always knew I liked guys. I didn’t always know I was gay, though. Confused? Well, I always had this weird abstract symbol in my mind for what I thought I was, but I didn’t classify it as gay.

I mean, I’d turn on the TV and see these religious figures preaching about how gay people were a danger to society and children, and I’d be like, “Well, that can’t be me. I can’t be gay. I’m just a kid myself… doing normal kid stuff.”

Growing up, I heard so many false, misleading, and sometimes downright mean things about who I was and what I was going to become, just because of my sexual orientation — something I have absolutely no control over.

When I first went to college, I was a little scared. Perhaps because it’s a religious university. I was all like, “Oh Snap. Jesuits.” But honestly, I don’t think I’ve faced a single problem. My high school was way worse. Back at my high school, I once got called an abomination because I had a sticker with a rainbow on it. You know, really dark stuff.

But at college, the environment was always positive. The staff was so supportive of diversity and celebrating what made everyone different. I guess that’s possibly the best advice I can give to others. If professionals and leaders are willing to look beyond the labels that society puts on people, why should you be afraid to do the same? No one is just athletic, just intelligent, just funny, just Latino, or just Jewish. Likewise, no one is just gay.

1. Kitty says:

that was an awesome speach, too bad it was short, I always like reading your stuff.
    If only more people were open minded, really nice that they let you speak about that stuff. I guess you were very nervous. Hope to see your second monologue as well!

2. Lisa says:

I wish I was there to applaud you. It was indeed a well-written speech that really got in to me. I don't think I've ever read something this good.

I'm in awe. The last paragraph really was the best part. Best ending ever.

3. clairessa says:

That's a cool monologue. I think the gay-bashing has to be one of the biggest issues I have with the Christian church. Just like so many other things have been twisted out of context, I fear that homosexuality might be the 21st Century of out-of-context stupidity. And this is why I love college. Intelligence rules!

4. Monnii Bee says:

Oh yah, 'The Rainbow'. That hardcore, gangsta, Natzie Germany stuff right there =]
    Great monologue, you should tour it! Its so true that college is MUCH more open and understanding about things than in high school. It's all about liberation and all that jazz…

But did they really call the rainbow an abomination? Really? That's just so odd! If you come to Seattle right now we still have rainbow flags all over the city b/c of Pride Week. Guess my whole city is damned lol

5. Debbie/Mom says:

I still think this is great. I like the way this is written!! I love you and am proud of you. Are you coming for dinner & a movie Friday? Love, Mom

6. Erin Nicole says:

OMG! Like I told you earlier. I said I would read this, and I have. I LOVE IT! 🙂 Great job!

I agree with everything you say. I would have gone with the gree one just cuz green is my fav color. But my mom didn't let me watch that show as a child because it "was to violent". Hahahaha. Obv she let my sister watch it because OMG I get freaking beat up by here just because I did like ONE thing wrong. It's bad but I love her anyway! <3

I've got nothing against the homosexuals and bisexuals of the world. I would actually love to have friends that are homosexual or bi, just as well, as straight friends. 🙂 I'm going to visit a gay bar when I get old enough. I really want to meet some people, besides you, who are gay. 🙂 I can't wait! <3 WORLD PEACE! Lol. 🙂

7. Senyth says:

OMG. Monologues! :O I remember when I was in 3rd year Highschool and we were asked to give a monologue. I hated that part. It was so embarrassing! Urgh.

Anyway, your monologue is was better than mine. You do have a way with words. 🙂

I was a little scared when I first got to College too. :O I guess we are all reluctant to changes, but change is inevitable.

8. TJ Lubrano says:

Society is very quick to stick labels on individuals. Man! I wished I was there to see you perform. That would be so cool! Your monologue is simply awesome! Well said!

9. One thing that I like most about gays is that they are "Gays"… not just by sexual orientation but also by the so-called state of emotion…being happy =)

I like their sense of humor, somewhat unique and really amusing…

Great Post! and Great Blog too! =)

10. Jewel says:

Well done on doing the monologue. I have never had a problem with someone being gay, I don't know why other people do. I wonder if you read Pierre la Roux's blog, Warfare, it is a very worthwhile read even for non-gay people like me.