Your Clothes aren’t Gay

Well that’s gay. That’s soooo gay. That’s like totes uber gay. Bleh. You have no idea how many times I hear that awful phrase… uber.

… Okay, obviously I’m joking. My real gripe is with the word gay – a word that represents me – being used to express dislike and hate. I hear so many things called gay: homework, exams, traffic… One time I even heard a girl say, “My mom and dad are so gay!”

What the hell does that even mean? Was she adopted?

There are so many expressions about other minorities that people wouldn’t dare to say, but quips like “that’s so gay” and “no homo” are all over the place.

It’s ridiculous. The word gay used to mean happy. Now it means the complete opposite. It’s like when hipsters call something bad but really mean it’s good but truly mean it’s bad but ultimately mean nothing because they’re being “ironic.”

Considering the root definition, calling someone gay should be a compliment. Why doesn’t anybody ever say “Oh Em Gee! I love your bag! It’s so gay!”

One time, I was wearing a colorful jacket and somebody called it gay. Gah. Yes, I suppose in the grand scheme of things, my jacket prefers to mate with other jackets of the same sex. If I recall correctly, I actually found homoerotic magazines under its bed. Inside, there were highly explicit pictures of jackets taking it up the sleeve. They popped their collars, unzipped each other, turned inside out, and completely exposed their tags. There were even interracial pictures between a jacket and a muumuu.

On a serious note, being gay is not some zinger. I was born with a burdening secret. Growing up, I heard so many false, misleading, and downright mean things about who I was and what I was going to become. It’s unfair.

I totally believe in freedom of speech, but when you know you’re saying something hurtful, do you want to be THAT person who keeps saying it anyway?

Besides, there are so many awesome alternatives: that’s so vile! that’s so applesauce! that gives me the collywobbles! what a load of hooey! horseapples! poppycock! that’s so uber jacket!

I guess my point is that words can hurt, and in today’s world, members of the LGBTQABCDEFG community already have enough to deal with. Next time you’re pissed off at life, remember; the world isn’t gay… I am.

1. Deanna says:

We talked about this when I was in school to become a teacher. I think a lot of people say it without thinking, kind of like a reflex. Which is sad and doesn't make it right. Another one that bugs me is when people say "that's retarded." Winston says that sometimes and I get mad him. But he doesn't understand why I get mad.

2. nyuu says:

haha UBERRR!!

It's strange, but while the phrase, "that's so gay" was being thrown around to insult people, I've only used it a few times in happy situations. Because my mind automatically thinks gay=happy, Duuuhhh (that and because I was reading Shakespeare and he used the word 'gay' and I thought it was very high classed to use it in its correct form).

I'm not even gonna comment on the Justin Bieber remark.

3. Matt Harvath says:

Great Blog! I love it. I peed a lot after reading through it! And thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting.

4. Alice says:

DUDE LMAO I think this is my favorite blog by anyone ever. Like seriously, I love the way you were funny throughout this whole thing while you made your point, and I feel like this is a lot different than how most people would argue your point XD BAHH continue to be hilarious Justin! 😀

5. Shiri says:

I think I'm going to start using the "that's so applesauce!" one from now on 🙂 Not that I've ever EVER used "that's so gay".

6. Liza says:

Soo, I can't remember if I commented on this or not, but yes. "That's so gay" is something people say a lot. "That car is so gay.", "This traffic is so gay." I really like the commercials that say, "This sweater is so Jessica and Maria."

The definition for "gay" also means "happy". I've used gay for happy a few times before. I haven't recently, though, because my friend got so angry with me for saying something… I can't remember what it was. :p – because I was being a hypocrite by saying it's not right to say "that's so gay [in place of dumb, etc.]", even though I was saying something for happy.

Geez. Society and their new terms. 'Tis too ridonkulous.

7. Liza says:

…HOTS FOR JUSTIN BEIBER?

I just noticed that…

…No, I'm not even gonna go there.

8. Sunny says:

Bravo! Well said!!! I agree with you 100%. People need to realize that words DO hurt. 🙁 Our school did a campaign a few years ago about stopping the use of the word "retard" in hurtful ways and your blog entry reminded me of it! Almost everyone in the school signed the pledge, but 90% of them didn't even TRY to stop using the r-word. In fact, right after it, they made fun of how "uncool" and "retarded" it was that they were made to sign the pledge. I was one of the only people who signed the pledge and still have yet to say it to this day (and I don't plan on saying it in the future, either.) This just shows that not only do people use the word "gay" in hurtful ways, but there are a bunch of other words too that people use terribly 🙁 It's pretty saddening to see what society has turned into!!!

I like your list of alternative phrases/words 😀 Poppycock- I'm so uber gonna use that now haha 😀

9. Kenji says:

I'll admit.. I use the word gay. A lot. I'm one of those annoying people that don't think about the meaning of the word (at all) when I say it.

I think that in society today, the word has been changed so much.. to the point where I would hardly liken the word to homosexual.

I love the way you've explained it though… and I will most definitely think twice before using the term so loosely again!

10. Jenni says:

Haha, I'm with you on this. It's so childish, it reminds me of being back in high school.